Friday, February 09, 2007

Here, Fishie, Fishie

Today, during my swim warm-up, another girl got into the pool. Now, I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but there are very few young women who actually swim at the pool at my gym. There are quite a few older women who water-walk, and no shortage of women who want to kick you out of your lane so they can do aquarobics, and even some young women who get in with their friends or significant others or whomever and splash around and giggle. Because, you know, when I'm swimming laps I really want to watch the two people in the lane next to me flirting and grabbing and all. But I digress.

So today, I am finishing my warm-up, taking my sweet old time, and this girl gets in and starts swimming. Really. Flip-turns and all. Of course, this totally piques my interest, so I'm all trying to look without really looking, and of course I'm trying to figure out which one of us is faster, since I'm absurdly competitive like that. So I start my main set of 8x200, and I'm barely paying attention to the swimming. Instead, I'm single-mindedly focusing on holding her off. I had to nail those flip-turns, and if she was getting down the lane in 18 strokes, I had to do it in 17. Meanwhile, my sets are just flying by. By the time she got out, I had gotten through six intervals, all relatively fast and consistent, and had hardly even noticed I was swimming.

It. was. awesome.

I was still comtemplating the awesomeness that was my distracted workout during my seventh interval. Meanwhile, lo and behold, Speedy showed up for his swim, so he was around for the eighth and final. This workout went so quickly that the only reason I know I did eight intervals is because my watch tells me so.

Add to a great swim workout a delicious and over-eaten dinner at The Melting Pot, and it was a good day.

1 comment:

shelek said...

I always try to tell myself it's not about getting competitive with the other swimmers in the pool... but I'm lying. A semi-equal can keep your form, turns, and effort honest. And the Melting Pot? Lucky!