Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spoilers

First, while there is one person who thinks I should race, most people say go travel. That is my feeling as well right now, even though the trip is not a definite by any means.

On to spoilers. Unless you've been living with your head under a rock, you know that the Harry Potter book is coming out this weekend. As you also know, I am taking the bar next week. These two facts do not go together very well.

I've bought into the Harry Potter thing - not in the huge costumed fanfic way, but in that I've read them all and did at one point own them all, until I loaned them out to various folks, the books never to be seen again. I love a good read, and am of the sort who will stay up all night to keep reading a good book. To avoid any temptation, I'm having the book sent straight to my in-laws, where we will be the day after the exam.

Thus, I cannot be anywhere near the new Harry Potter until, at the earliest, next Thursday night. This puts me almost a week behind every 13-year-old girl who will go to Barnes & Noble on Friday at midnight, stay up all night to read it, and be squealing about the ending by noon on Saturday.

Let me say this: I'm gonna be pissed if someone spoils it.

Well, I'm going to be pissed if someone intentionally (with malice aforethought, if you will) spoils it. When I was in high school, I took a class on "Analyzing Influential Films" or some such. We went through lots of the classics and well-knowns, including, of course, Citizen Kane. We're about halfway through the movie, and my mom makes some comment during a conversation about (SPOILER AHEAD) "That's like saying Rosebud is a sled!!" MOM!!!! But in her defense, that was a totally unintentional disclosure on her part. Unintentional spoilers, or spoilers online that are labeled as such, are not my concern.

Next week, I'll be spending two nights in a hotel with hundreds of stressed, angry, nervous bar applicants. It is not unimaginable that someone who has totally freaked out will try to spoil the book for everyone else. That will suck. A lot. For said applicant who's flipped her shit, and for the rest of us who are waiting not-so-patiently for next Friday. But for the time being, I've got enough Crim-Con-Evidence-etc. to worry about that I can't even think about the book.

Maybe I should just go stick my head under a rock.

1 comment:

shelek said...

A coworker possibly spoiled the ending for a friend of mine-- for no reason. Just to be an A-hole. He didn't even read any of the books! I hope no one is as nasty in your life.