Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Yay for Running!

Yes, that's right. I have been running. I ran a half-mile yesterday on the treadmill at physical therapy, and today I ran just over a half-mile on real roads.

I know, I know. One measly half-mile? The last run I did before I got hurt was with Speedy, and we did an ass-kicking seven mile run in Berkeley. That run was basically up the side of a mountain and back down. And here I am, all excited over a half-mile. Well, dear reader, the distance isn't what matters. That will come quickly enough, as I'm confident that I've maintained my cardio fitness well. What matters is that I went running for the first time in over two months. Running was the big hurdle (um, no pun intended). I was not able to think that I was really recovered until I could run. And now, I can. Not far, yet, and my ankle still hurts a bit when I do, but the therapist thinks that's just because I haven't used the small stabilizing muscles in a while. But I can run.

And that. is. AWESOME.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo-Hoo!!!

And you're damn right that the distance doesn't matter. As long as you're able to get out there for a few minutes here and there, those little muscles in your ankle will come back fast.

Oh, and stay away from hurdles for a while... :-)